Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Jimmy James

Last night I went to see the uber-talented vocal impressionist Jimmy James at the Blue Moon.  I saw his show there 3 years ago too, which was fabulous.  But this was a new show.

If you're not familiar with Jimmy, do a YouTube search.  Seriously, he's been around for 30 years, first gaining popularity from his expert Marilyn Monroe impersonations.  Since then he's expanded his vocal impersonations to include all the stars and divas:  Cher, Eartha Kitt, Mae West, Bette Davis, Barbra Streisand, Adele, Patsy Cline, Judy Garland, Tina Turner, Billie Holliday, and more.

Of course there's no shortage of celebrity impersonators in our (GLBT) community.  There are Cher impersonators, Brittney impersonators, Barbra impersonators, and so on.  But what's so amazing to me about Jimmy James is that he is able to seamlessly transition from 1 celebrity to another in seconds!  My favorite part of his shows is Jimmy's "8 Divas", where he sings "I've Got It Bad And That Ain't Good" as 8 different people.  Check it out:
Extrordinary!!!

Another part of his show this time included a bit where he proudly displays Bette Davis' album (yes, she produced an album!) and sings a song as Bette Davis.
Hilarious!!!

He also told a funny story about seeing Culture Club in concert recently, and hanging with Boy George.  And he did a duet with Elvis and Barbra Streisand!

As usual, Jimmy James was absolutely fantastic and I would encourage everyone to go see him whenever possible.  He'll be in NYC Aug 21 in Lady Bunny's Wigstock, and Aug 22 at the historic Stonewall Inn.  You can follow him on Facebook for other upcoming tour dates.

3 comments:

Breenlantern said...

We saw JJ a few years ago in Ptown. He was fantastic. I would see him again in a heart beat!

Sassybear
Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

Mistress Maddie said...

I love Jimmy James! He comes to New Hope quite a bit. I love his Bette and Judy.

Fearsome Beard said...

I used to see Jimmy James back in the 1980s in my hometown in Roanoke VA. He has always been fabulous.