Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Cabin fever

As I mentioned in a couple posts, while I was sick/recuperating from the cellulitis I was at home for 4 weeks, with the exception of 4 days in the hospital.  I couldn't drive and I was unable to go anywhere except the doctor's office, with help.

4 weeks is a long time to be home.  My friend Joey (who graciously visited me in the hospital and called me several times afterward to check in) asked me if I was getting cabin fever.

My answer to him, oddly enough, was "No".

When I started to think about it I found it really interesting that I didn't feel like I had to get out at all.  There have been times when we've had a freak snow storm that left us 'trapped' at home for 2 or 3 days and we couldn't wait to get out.  

I think the difference is that I knew I was physically unable to go out and do anything.  Initially I had a lot of pain, and for even longer I had very little strength or stamina.  Even simple tasks like taking a shower left me exhausted.  So I'm guess that's why I never had the feeling of cabin fever.

So, what did I do at home for 4 weeks?  I watched a lot of TV and movies.  Toward the end of my time at home I resorted to paying for on-demand movies because I'd watched everything of interest on the cable channels and the premium channels we get.

Also, I slept a lot.  I'd go to bed at 10pm and sleep until at least 9am.  

Then there were the occasional mid-day naps.

2 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

at least you had the puppies for company too. hope you are feeling better!

Biki Honko said...

When we lived in Alaska below zero temps are the norm for winter. However, one winter the temps just kept dropping until we had over 6 weeks of -40 or colder. That was the winter we saw a jaw dropping -72!! Needless to say we didn't leave the house much, it was just to dangerous with wee kids. Hubby bundled up and took the round trip of 160 miles to the grocery store twice. I was never so glad to see the inside of a grocery store after the weather finally warmed up again.

Being sick/ill is totally different from being house bound due to weather. I've been there, and never usually had cabin fever until I was nearly healed up.

Glad to see that you've weathered this horrible disease and are doing well again. Summer time is coming, and you have to be in tip top form for your Legends Shows!